Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Kai's prayer and Abi's realization

Kai has had an interesting transformation during prayer over dinner. He would scrunch up his eyes and fold his hands so fervently, then he got bored and would just eat dinner while we all prayed, and now he's started a new thing when it is time for us to pray. It is so sweet. He's back with closing his eyes and folding his hands and now when Daddy prays, he'll pipe in, "ahh, eee, ahh, eee, eh, oooh, ahh." And then when we say "amen", he'll say, "OH!" with surprise that he missed our ending!!!! It's SOOO cute!!! I'm sure it's very distracting for Jonathan to pray to, especially since he struggles with praying aloud as it is, but man, it tickles my heart! I wonder what Kai thinks he's saying? I wonder if he "gets" it all? Does it delight Jesus just as much as it delights me? Isn't this the start of something wonderful though?

Oh! And while we're on the topic of children and learning about God… Abi had a cute "revelation" the other day too!

I wanted to talk about Easter with the kids, since it is starting to approach us very fast and the stores are filling with Easter candies and the kids are getting excited. I asked Abi, "What makes Easter so wonderful?" "the candy!" "But what do we celebrate at Easter?" "uhm… egg hunting!" Hmm… this isn't going very well! "What about Jesus? What did He do at Easter?" A blank stare. "We celebrate His birth at Christmas, what did He do at Easter?" "He died!" "Right! But what makes that so wonderful? What happened after He died?" "He came back to life!" "right!" Rock on, girlio! Then she looks at me and says, "Did he do that this Easter?" "yes, that's what we celebrate. That He died for us, and came back to life, so that we would be His children and be with him in heaven if we believed." "Does He do this EVERY year?????" I stiffle back a laugh. "Yes, He does." Sort of. Good enough of an answer, I think! *wink*



I love it!!! I love that the kids are starting to respond to God and understand all of the things we believe on levels that make sense for them. I love that they are going to grow up and this is going to be NORMAL to them. How sad to think of all the lives of children who grow up and don't know WHY we celebrate Easter. Who grow up and become adults and only learn then what it is it to believe in a Saviour. Who don't know what life is like with that absolute belief that someone greater than them, greater than their parents, is out there and cheering them on, loving them unconditionally. Sad. I have been so richly blessed to have been born into a family who knew that, and taught it to their children, and I am so delighted to be able to do that with mine. It tickles my heart.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers