Monday, May 28, 2007

interesting phone call

So Kai's Speech Therapist called today. She was going to call me "in a few weeks" …a while ago! That's okay, I forgot! LOL She said that Kai has been on her mind for a while now and she's been wondering how to go about his therapy and she even asked some co-workers for ideas, which I thought was good. She sees that she needs to back off a bit with her therapy direction, which may sound counter-productive, but seeing as he doesn't want to respond to her anymore, it makes sense to me! But she does want to increase our visits to once a week! Yay! About time!!!!! (I'm so relieved she brought it up, I didn't want to have to b/c I'm a wimp, lol) We'll see her for 6 straight weeks starting in a month, until she goes on vacation in July, then we'll meet up again in September. Hopefully we'll get a good response with 6 weeks.

I asked her about diagnosis and if we can look forwards to one, if there is one, and she wanted to know why I was asking. Was it for paperwork or anything? No, I am just curious. If he Does have Apraxia then I want to know what is the next step? Do we need to prepare for future things? Like school? Do we need to learn a new way of teaching him? Linda said that there isn't much difference involved with Apraxia and she has worked with children with that (and will be attending a conference on it in the fall) She wasn't too sure if we'd actually get a "diagnosis" or if there was one, which was annoying, but she did stress that we know he has a delayment and it is a confusing one and that he's had it all along. Actually, she was telling me about this one program with the government that I should apply for. It's a Child tax credit that is given if the child is "unspeaking" since birth, which he has been, (and Linda would sign the papers for proof for us) and we'd get a suppliment (how much I"m not too sure though) and it would go back all the way to his birth. How cool is that? :) I may get that new van!!! Okay, I"m being hopeful, but I thought it was interesting!

So that's that. Linda is still trying to figure out Kai. So am I! I told her about him saying "fff" and she was happy too. I'm so glad we're getting together weekly though! Phew!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers