Wednesday, May 9, 2007

venting about speech....again

Yet again Kai didn't want to participate with his ST today. But this time he wouldn't even look at her! He had his back to her and wouldn't respond, just grumbled at her attempts to engage him. I was getting frustrated.


Linda was talking about how she really wants to work on him and get tougher b/c he's 3 1/2 and nothing! He's starting the age where he's going to make friends and it's going to be harder and the kids will just walk away if they can't communicate and we don't want that. Those were her words and it's hard to hear that. She's so right. This is what I've been frightened of all along! So this afternoon, as I was driving to go pick up Abi and Kai was sleeping in the car, I was thinking about this and wondering just what if he Doesn't get speech properly? What if this is more than something we can fix? I mean, what if he's in special needs in school? I mean, this boy is so beautiful. He's bright and fun. He's silly and energetic! I can't even begin to think of him not being able to make friends!!!!


I know, I'm very likely exaggerating or getting myself worked up (I know mom will say that, lol! ) but my mind wanders! I'm just feeling frustrated and crummy over this.


The ST said we need to frustrate him more. She wasn't able to bring me thr pictures b/c their copier broke down, but next time we get together she will. She suggested that if he "says" something…mumbles something that isn't a word, but I know what he's trying to say… to ask him, "did you want your shoes? or juice?" (give him two choices: one that is correct and one totally off) It'll get him to realize that there are different words.


I felt like giving up this afternoon. I guess in many ways I'm looking for a "quick" solution. Like a switch to turn on the language! I mentioned the Signing Time videos, but she hadn't seen them. I may have to look more into ASL for him. SOMETHING!!!!!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers