Monday, July 9, 2007

Kai said something!

Last week, Kai actually responded to the Speech Therapist!!! YAY!!! I was soooooo happy and all day kept praising him! I wanted him to realize and understand that was what we wanted from him. Before the appointment, I kept telling him how he needed to say something or sign or do something for Linda so she knew how big and smart he was, and when we got there, before getting out of the truck I turned to Kai and repeated that he needed to respond to her, and would he do that for Mommy? Of course, he says yes! He was happy to be there and played good with the toys in the waiting room and was doing well…. until Linda arrived. Then he hide beside my leg and got a pouty lip and eyes downcast. :( Oh no!

We went to the room, where he sat at the table not looking at her. But she was prepared. She had a box of toys on the table and pictures in front of him. He just needed to point to which one he wanted to play with! At first he didn't want to until I gently said, "what did we talk about in the car?" and he pointed!!! :) And as they played, he gradually got more comfortable and pointed and even started to speak! It was so wonderful! I was wondering if we'd ever get to that stage with Linda! My heart was overjoyed!

Kai's interest didn't last long though, but he did play with all the games and did respond, so all was good. Linda said she still can't rule out apraxia but she says that it seems to be more of a delay in phonetics. He has words that he uses for certain things that HE thinks are correct and it's just about learning that those aren't the correct ones and having to replace them with OUR words. It'll take some time.

Kai is growing in leaps and bounds! I am so impressed and pleased. Jonathan & I praise him whenever he uses words and tries but what is really helping him is playing with other children his age. He's gained so much with just playing with Max & Teague next door and last weekend with Brody, which is so great to know. I can't wait to see how he does at preschool this year!

We'll see how this week goes with ST.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers