Monday, April 7, 2008

Asthma Sucks!

Kai has been dealing with poor health his whole life, from his heart condition to constant colds to asthma, and this past weekend was no exception. He's actually been having issues with his breathing a few times during the week, but I've been able to give him Abi's chamber inhaler, since he is completely out of nebules for his nebulizer. (I actually should've taken him to the doctor for a refill prescription a few weeks ago, but put it off….shame on me!) On Saturday, though, he coughed so much! We were at a birthday party of a family friend and of course, two of the family members there have asthma and pointed out the cough and such to me! I felt soooo bad!!! I felt that I'd better do something!!!! But the ventolin just wasn't doing the trick. In fact, Kai was awake every Other Hour that night, coughing with asthma. And every other hour, I'd go to his room and give him more ventolin, knowing it wasn't doing much. :( But I couldn't even take him to the ER that night b/c I had forgotten my purse at the house of the party, so I didn't have our Care Cards for the hospital! :( So I had to wait for the morning.

Sunday morning, I took Kai to the clinic, where the doctor (who barely even listened to his chest) gave us a new prescription for his pulmicort and ventolin nebules. At 12:30pm, he had a good dose and was a new boy! Yay! By 7:30pm, he was back to coughing and struggling and crying, so again I pulled out the medications. To keep him company, Abi read him a new book we just got "Russell the Sheep". (very cute book. great illustrations) …she's so sweet! And amazes me at her reading ability. The poor boy looked so ill.



By the time the medication was done, he had started up coughing and struggling again, crying and moaning. That scared me! It's common for him to be coughing when we start the procedure, but not to be at the end! He just wasn't himself, all warm and lethargic. He fell asleep as soon as I got him into bed, and as I watched him I wondered what to do. I had a feeling I should take him to the hospital, but…. you know how you second guess themselves? I am too proud to make a mistake and take my children (or myself for that matter) to a doctor unless it is NEEDED for sure! ….So I called my Mom, the retired RN for some advice! :) She said take him to the ER! *sigh*

I still waited an hour….had some dinner, got stuff ready, checked on him several times hoping he'd be better. Instead, he got rosy cheeks and his breathing was rushed. But he was sleeping, and who likes to wake sleeping children??? But I did, and we made it to LMH at 9pm. Of course, along the trip there, Kai was breathing totally normal and seemed fine! (roll eyes) We made it through the triage (seeing three different nurses) and then got a bed, and waited….and waited…and waited… For three long hours.

It wasn't a terrible time though. We read every single book in the waiting room, coloured some pictures in the colouring books, made some pictures on my own writing paper, sang some songs… Kai was WIDE AWAKE!!!! And seemed to enjoy his time there! He was full of energy and kept saying random things, like, "Mommy, I like baby monkeys!" "yes, they're cute." "They jump from tree to tree." "Yes, they do." "Tree frogs hop from tree to tree!" I laugh. "Yes, I guess they do too!" He was quite cute, but I kept having to remind him to be quiet! It was way past his bedtime, and he thought it was neat that he was in his jammies. He pointed out that I wasn't wearing any. In fact, he said that if I got sleepy, I couldn't go to bed b/c I didn't have jammies on, and the bed was only made for little kids! LOL



To pass the time, we played with my camera and made silly faces!





Finally at 12:45am, the doctor got to see us and listened to me tell the same story I'm telling you, and then listened to his chest and said that he was doing well, he didn't have any pnuemonia, and it was a mixture of a cold with asthma. He wrote us up a script for his own chamber inhalers too, and told me that it could take 10 days to fully go away and it may get worse before it gets better.

And that was that. Today he's wheezing, but he is full of energy and totally seems himself, which is such a relief! When we got home at 1am, despite being wide awake at the hospital, he fell asleep within moments and slept pretty good! Phew! I'm sure he'll be sleeping well again tonight since he's missed so much last night.

Sadly, Abi has needed her inhaler today as well. *sigh* It's definitely Spring! Love the season, but not the reactions in my children!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers