Tuesday, April 29, 2008

entering third trimester

I did my 1-hr Glucose test on Saturday. Woohoo, what fun! Have you ever had to drink that orangey drink? It's just plain nasty!!! Who likes orange pop anyways? Sheesh, you'd think they'd offer other flavours….and then it just makes you feel ill and burpy from the carbonation and the fact that you have to drink it within 5 minutes… YUCK! But, I digress….

I did my test on Saturday, and lucky me, I got a phone call from the Maternity Clinic on Monday saying that my results were a "little high", so I needed to take the 3-hour test! Oh Man!!!! I know I shouldn't have been upset, and I should've expected it (really—was I THAT surprised???), but I still did NOT enjoy finding that out. *sigh* So today, Jonathan took the day off work (I don't think he was that bothered to do that, lol) so that we could get Kai to preschool and that I could take my test. This was a fasting test as well, so I hadn't eaten since 11pm the night before. (and even then it was only ONE strawberry, lol) I made it at the hospital's lab by 9am, took my blood test, drank the nasty orange drink and then made my way next door for the Maternity Clinic for my monthly drs apt.

I was reading the label on the Dextrose drink (which is what it's called) and it made me laugh. First line says that it's not to be given out without a doctor's prescription, which makes me wonder if people are actually asking for this drink on it's own??? Is there really a problem in the States that they need to write that down? There's no caffeine in this drink; there really is no benefits to drinking it, I'm sure! It also gives "directions" on how to administer it (orally) and that the "patient should keep quiet." WT? What does that mean? I"m not allowed to talk and move? Or are they concerned that I'll suddenly want to go out jogging or something? What a bizarre instruction!

But I made it through the 3 hours…. except at the first hour mark, the blood draw was Incredibly painful! She used a good vein that was visible, but Man, it HURT!!! I couldn't get over it! The tech felt bad too and wondered if there was a nerve nearby. Possibly, because it hurt when the tip of the needle went in, came out and when pressure was applied! OWIE!!!! I've never had a needle hurt like that before; it was a bit surprising!

My appointment to see my doctor was actually very helpful for me…aside from the fact that I didn't even see my own doctor! I swear I've only seen her 25% of this pregnancy. But I saw a great doctor that made me wish I had HER instead! :p I told Dr. Park about how I think I've been leaking amniotic fluid, but wasn't too sure, so she has scheduled an ultrasound for me to check on my levels and to see if my uterous is thinning. (scary thought) My scan is scheduled for this Thursday, which surprised me! I knew she wanted it within the week, but this is fast! It makes me happy though, but Jonathan will have to take another day off work for it so that Kai doesn't miss his Speech Therapy and I don't have to worry about the boys. Dr. Park mentioned how since I am entering my 3rd Tri (I'm 28 weeks now) and only made it to 33 weeks with Bryn, that we really need to pay attention to how things are and watch for leaking and such. Believe me, I have!!! I'm so incredibly paranoid, to be honest, that I can't sleep well.

So that's my news. If you would keep me in your prayers, that would be muchly appreciated. I'll let you know how the scan goes.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers