Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Bed Rest

Well, last week Tuesday was my OB appointment. My husband came home from work early so he could take the boys and pick up Abi from school so I could go by myself. (just in case she wanted to do some tests or whatnot) I was a *bit* annoyed though b/c she thought I was there for Gestational Diabetes. (roll eyes) Why don't these doctors pay attention??? I told her about my positive Ph strip and so she sent me to the maternity ward for a full speculum exam. Silly, naive me for thinking it would be just a quick test!!! I ended up not going home! My own doctor did a battery of tests on me, including another Ph swab (which came out blue immediately–although I found out that could be caused by various things) and a Fern Test. (where they take a sample from my cervix and check it out under a microscope. Apparently, amniotic fluid will look like a fern under a slide. Fascinating!) That test came out positive too, but only a corner of the slide. But two positives make one Ruptured Membranes! I begged to differ… I was just "leaking"… stop using the term "Ruptured"!!!!

Needless to say, I was admitted to the hospital where they gave me lots of antiobiotics to ward off infection, and two shots of steriods into my bum to help speed up Baby's lungs. Then I lay in bed. What fun! Actually, I took it all very well…. but it's different when it's ME and I know what's going on. I knew the baby was fine and that I wasn't leaking anymore and had no contractions. It was a different story at home…. my husband was stressed out! We had to figure out childcare and work and it was just difficult for him. But things fell together and we had lots of help from family.

I took some pics of my lovely room (in the Emergency Delivery Room on the L&D floor at PAH!) It's a large room, quiet, and filled with a lot of equipment. If anyone needs to have a sudden emergency delivery that they aren't able to secure an OR, then I'll be kicked out and moved into the hallway! LOL (that's what the nurse said!)





After several monitorings that showed baby was good (and very active) and no contractions or leaking, I was discharged from the hospital on Friday. And from then on, I've been on Strict Bed Rest. I'm getting used to it, but it's also tough. I can go from couch to chair to bathroom to bed. That's about it. Of course, now that I'm on bed rest, there are tons of things I'd Like to do!! But I've found the more I sit and attempt things, the stronger my BH, so I need to REST more. I certainly don't want to gush or start contractions!!! :{

My wonderful, lovely sister (whom I love VERY much) has come over this week to help watch the boys so I don't get up. Abi has it arranged for after-school pickup. We've got some dinners coming that her teacher has organized. We're blessed. And yesterday, I had another NST at the hospital, which baby passed easily, so the OB said that I don't need to do more this week, but to go see her next week at her office. (how's that for a run-on sentance?) So that's good news. She said we'll assess how things are then. I don't anticipate going OFF bed rest, but I'm curious as to what the OB will say.

I still get Really Strong BH in the evening and end up feeling like I've ate 3 bowling balls b/c I'm so heavy and uncomfortable. I also find that I'm tired even though I haven't done anything! Things generally are well though. I just want to keep this baby in me for just a few more weeks! Bryn was born at 33w, so I don't anticipate going longer than that, but maybe bed rest will help. After all, as Jonathan pointed out, when my water broke at 33w, I was supposed to go on bed rest at the hospital, but they had to induce me hours later b/c I got really ill with an infection. If that darned infection didn't happen, who knows how long I would've been holding out. Good point.

For fun, here's a picture of my belly. Where have my feet gone to?

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers