Monday, January 26, 2009

speech again

Kai was seen by a Speech Pathologist at the school this past week. I was invited and encouraged to join the meeting, which I fully planned to, but I lost my day planner (again, good grief!*roll eyes*) and I forgot which week it was and they told me the wrong day at the school, and yeah, when it came up, I didn't have anyone to watch the younger boys. Phooey. Anyways…. I popped in the next day to talk to the Learning Assistance coordinator and all she had time to tell me was that the Pathologist was "very concerned" for Kai. Not only with his delay, but there was some concern about his heart condition as well, as it was noticed that he was breathing with his whole body and not being able to speak much before he needed to take another breath. The worry was that maybe he just wasn't getting enough oxygen to his brain and that would impede learning skills. They were worried that he may end up with learning disabilities.

With that little information to go on, I had to wait another two days to talk with Alison again. Of course, I totally forgot that when I told her I'd see her on Friday morning after dropping the kids off at their classes, I wouldn't be at the school anyways as Jonathan now drives the kids to school for me. But I made it in to see her before classes got out, since I remembered that she couldn't see me right after school. Good thing she was able to meet with me; I didn't call ahead and so when I arrived, she was in the middle of meeting with another student. Oops. But it all worked out.

I ended up with no more new information then what she mentioned briefly on the Wednesday. I gave her my very full and big file folder I have on Kai and all of his tests, programs, doctor apointments, etc that he's been through so that maybe she can get more caught up on him. I was annoyed on Wednesday when she was surprised to hear that Kai had actually been diagnosed with Apraxia! I guess somehow that news didn't get to her, even though it's mentioned in his school files and I've told his teacher. *roll eyes* I did explain to her that his heart condition is stabilized and although it may cause some issues with his breathing, he does also have asthma and that no one else had noticed him breathing heavily before, so possibly it was just a rare thing. (hoping)

We won't get the Pathologist' report for another few weeks, but what she recommends is that we put Kai into private speech therapy along with his training at school. Phooey. I'm not surprised really since this is something that needs to be worked on a daily basis with, but I was so hoping that the school would be able to do enough for him. *sigh*

I guess I don't really feel Too Badly about this. I mean, it's too bad that we have to do this. {Private therapy can cost a lot, I've heard, but we do have good health coverage with Jonathan's work. We'll see how that works out.} I just hate that my son has so many health issues: cardiomyopathy, asthma, apraxia. He seems so "Normal", at the risk of using a bad word, so it's hard for me to understand and remember his frailty. I don't want him to be left behind…the possibility of the teacher thinking he's not ready for Grade One and having to hold him back in Kindergarten for another year hangs over my head. Yes, I would agree with her if that's what she thought; after all, Mrs. VB has been a K teacher for over 30 years! And, yes, if he had to repeat a grade, this is the best one and the best time. And yes, he may not even really notice and would make new friends and all would be good. But still… so sad. I hate the idea that he's BEHIND or that he needs extra help. You know?

I'm suddenly feeling like I've got nothing to complain or worry about. Really, Kai doesn't have it THAT bad. There is a boy in his class who has, I think what it's called is High Functioning Autism. He is the thought that pops into your head when you think of the term: flailing arms, random screaming, body throwing, hitting… It breaks my heart because this boy has such a warming smile and seems like such a sweetheart. But what his mother must go through. I worry about my Kai repeating Kindergarten, when his mother likely worries if her boy will even make friends or play with the other children.

I'll be looking into Speech Therapy this week. I hope I can find him in something soon. Until then, he will begin a special program designed to help strengthen his mouth muscles with horns and straws.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers