Thursday, January 29, 2009

Yum! eating and reading

I've been working on the whole feeding business with Rhys for a while now and tonight it seemed as though he actually GOT IT! He's been licking his lips and smacking his gums, so he gets the idea, but he hasn't connected the movement with actual food, silly boy. Tonight, I gave him his pablum cereal mixed with his formula and added some pureed peaches, and boy, did he like it!!! He was actually pulling my hand over with the spoon in it to get some more, which delighted me. And he ate quite a bit too, which is nice to see since before he'd only take about 5 bites and think he was done. Tonight, I didn't need to "follow up" with a bottle. YAY!

Here are pictures of him when we first started him on pablum. He's in his own special "feeding chair". It's made by FisherPrice and it comes with three tops: one for playing, a white one with sectionals for feeding that goes on top, and the cover. My SIL used this for her DD when they went out and it worked great! What a well-behaved child, for one, but I loved that seat! So, we got one for Christmas from MIL. Yay! I've got Rhys into it for eating. I suppose I could pull out the highchair, but this works for now. Besides, I'm sure he'd just slide right out of that high chair, lol!



Still so cute, even with pablum up his nose!



"what is this? do I like this?"



"what is this for?"



"give me the REAL food!"

(oh BTW> he has moved up to 4oz bottles, but I still like his 2oz for convenience and for something quick when I know he's not really hungry. And they're cute and I get sooo many comments on them when I pull them out!)

Rhys is now 7 months old and he still hasn't sat up on his own yet, nor will he roll over for me. *roll eyes* He's so close though! He LOVES to sit up in my lap or on the floor between my legs, but once I let go, he's on the floor in a faceplant within less than a second. Not very nice for a baby. They don't like that. And no matter how many times I put him on his tummy or his back, he won't roll over. My neighbour claims that he's doing that all over the place at her house when she's watched him, but he has yet to prove it to me! :P We were supposed to have Mishelle from IDP over again this week, but we got more snow so she cancelled. (It wasn't a heck of a lot of snow, thankfully, so I don't know why she couldn't come, but whatever) I'd like to see where he sits against other children his age. I know not to expect a lot, since technically he still is 5 weeks behind everyone, but I still like the Ages & Stages Questionairre.

Here's one of my favourite pictures of my oldest and my youngest. Abi is reading to Rhys, who doesn't get it but loves the attention anyways!





Abi has become such a great reader. She is in chapter books and will go through one within an hour! It's impressive. So much so that sometimes I wonder if she is actually reading them or skimming them!!! She loves to read, and that makes me happy. Last weekend, we took the kids to the library and they all got their own Public Library cards! They were so excited! (well, all except Rhys. He'd just eat the books. Can't have that. Libraries overcharge you for damaged books, it would've been easier to just have bought it yourself from the bookstore then ate it!!! LOL) Abi took out 5 books the first day and finished them all within 2 days!

Kai is still working on his reading. He takes home easy readers from Kindergarten with Sight Words every week. I remember those from when Abi was in that class! Kai is doing incredibly well too, which is such a surprise and joy for us! I know it's all memorization because he can't tell one word from another, but that's the start of reading. I can read the book to him twice and he will know it all by heart! It's amazing! I hope he can continue his love of books and that his speech doesn't slow him down. (I can see some troubles with his one book that he brought home this week. It uses a lot of S words…like SLOW, SNOW, SLED..the two-letter consonant blends that he has problems with.)

My kids are amazing! *big grin*

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers