Tuesday, December 9, 2014

santa party

This past weekend, my mother-in-law signed up the kids for a Christmas party with Santa that was put on by the Elks Club in Langley. I thought it was going to be like the other Christmas parties that she has taken them to for her work, which would give my Hunny and I a good two hours to ourselves. But not so much. Apparently this was a parent-participatory thing!

Abi volunteered to help run a table as well as my mother-in-law. (it was an event for kids up to age 10, but by volunteering, Abi and Kai got to join in as well) They put Abi in charge of the Face Painting. I always thought she'd be good at that!


The funny thing is that when we arrived, my Hunny started to add a tree to Eden's face, and one of the organizers noticed so she called out loudly, "Oh, good, do you want to be my Face Painting Guy?" Hahaha. He was kind of cornered!  But he really did love it!


  this boy wanted to be Santa!


 he turned this girl into a green faced elf!

As I watched him decorate these kids faces I realized that his willingness to help is greater than his ability to face paint (hahaha) but to be honest, I really was struck at his kind heart. I love that it is in our family's nature to just pick up and help out.  We may not sign up for many volunteering activities, but put us into a position to be of service and we willingly help out.  I think that is such a great thing! I am now thinking that maybe in the new year, this is something that we need to do more as a family: volunteer our time and help for events.



The Christmas Santa party was fun. I thought it would be a drop in type of event, but it was an all-day one that started at 2pm and ended at 5:30pm! There were lots of craft tables with activities, and gingerbread men to decorate.



Rhys was at a classmate's birthday party until 3:30, but then he got to join in on the fun as well, which he enthusiastically did!



                                                          making crafty reindeer

                                                          adding glitter carefully


There was a magician to be tricked by, which is always fun and entertaining.





And, of course, Santa and Mrs. Claus arrived for the kids to visit and have photos with. I think that Eden and Rhys were the most excited to see them! They sat on Santa's knee and engaged with him and they were quite enthralled! We don't "do" Santa in our house. That is, we don't promote him, or talk too much about him. The kids know that he comes on Christmas Eve to bring gifts, and they have found some under the tree from him, but that's really as much as we do. They will see him in the mall and on tv and such, but we don't do the whole visiting of Santa or guiliting the kids into better behavoiur because of naughty/good lists.  I know that it is part of the whole Christmas Tradition for many families, and there's nothing wrong with that, it's just not something that I grew up with.  I do admit to feeling that magical Christmas spirit though when I see the kids' excitement over simple things like seeing Santa!




 
It was an enjoyable afternoon. But a long one. When we arrived home, it was already dark and 6pm, but it felt like 9pm to us adults!  I'm glad that we got to go. This is not something that Hunny and I would've signed up for on our own, so it's nice sometimes when a family member does that for you! Sometimes. :)


0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers