Thursday, January 8, 2015

Thankful Thursday




Welcome back to Thankful Thursday, a feature started by Louise at Talk Nerdy to Me, where we look back over our week to remember our blessings.  It is so good to see the good things that have happened, especially if you have had a particularly tough week. Being grateful is good for the soul. Here are just a few things that I am thankful for...


1. tylenol, advil, inhalers...

Oh yes, the Stuffs of the Holidays. We have been dealing with colds and flus for over three weeks now. It's getting frustrating.  I have been worried more than once, and praying for direction and wisdom in dealing with kids' illnesses, but thankfully things haven't gotten worse.  I am thankful that we have been able to deal with things at home and haven't needed intervention. (other than a doctor's visit to confirm that things didn't need more serious medical attention)

2. nebulizer

I am so very thankful for our nebulizer. This was purchased many years ago and it has come in handy so many times. I like to think that it has kept us out of the ER a few times too.



I wasn't happy that I had to pull it out for Kai this week though, but I was thankful that we had it and it was an option that could help.

3. Painting

The Youngers spent some of their afternoon painting....while still in the pjs. I love the colours they pull out and the work they do, even if it is it mostly scribbles still.  





I am thankful for creativity and for distractions and enthusiasm to be artsy!

4. Somewhat normal

I am thankful that even though I had to call in a Sick Day when the kids were supposed to be returning to school, we managed to have a Somewhat Normal day the next day. Where two of the four made it to school! It's a start!

5. Quick Visits

I am thankful for friends who call ahead and ask to stop by. It is always nice to see friends; especially if you have been stuck indoors with sickies for a while. I am also thankful for the warning as it gave me just enough time for a quick clean up, which means I am also thankful for energy to clean, and for well-enough kids to help out.


6. Quiet Time Outs

I am thankful for a husband who knows when I need a break and time out, like I did this week. I have been a *bit* stressed and frustrated with not enough sleep, too much asthma, toddler tantrums, and thinking too much, and my own attitude sucked. I am not thankful for that! But I am thankful that I was able to go out and let my Hunny take care of bedtimes and walk around Walmart for a few hours in quiet.

7. Prep work

I spent some of my free time distracting myself from other stuff (read: housework. It doesn't end, I can't fight it, sometimes I just give up on it!) and painted and prepped for an upcoming craft fair. I'm slightly excited, but mostly freaking out!

8. Pinterest

Yes, I am thankful for this website. It is seriously addicting and a great time-waster and an easy way to avoid doing things you should be doing! (read: housework...refer to #7) But I am mostly thankful for the many ideas that it has given me and the courage and for the inspirations. In some ways, I feel prepared for my craft fair (in one month, eek!) and (somewhat) confident in how it will be.

9. board games

The kids got an assortment of board games for Christmas from their Grandma Lynn. We haven't been able to play too many with young kids in the house, but the Olders are now old enough to sit still and play and enjoy the challenge, without losing pieces. And that is so good to see!  The Youngers still need work though... I cringe every time I see Eden pull open a game; I know it is going to get dumped out and half of it missing. (I am already doing a search for the players to her Chautes and Ladders game. *sigh*)




I was especially happy that one of them got the game of Clue (I think it was Abi). I love that game! It was one that I could play with my siblings and had a remote chance of winning! My brother dominated any type of stragetic game like Monopoly or Risk!  But in Clue, it was an even playing field! It was random and sleuthing and seeing who could get to the room fast enough and narrowing down suspects. I loved it!  

We played the new version, which has updated charcter profiles (I always had to be Col. Mustard, who is now some young guy!) and new rules and even a flip board, so you can play in the mansion or the boardwalk!

I am thankful that we are entering this stage in life. Fun times lay ahead!


10. Immediate answers to prayer

I was having a rough day, just dealing with tantruming toddlers and not enough sleep, and I began to think of the song "Worn" by Tenth Avenue North. I don't know if I have posted this one before or not, but I will add the video below.  I felt weary and weighed down with a lot of thoughts and I just needed Him. I needed to feel that weight lifted off of me. I needed to get rid of this stress and to feel peace.

As I got Eden into the van several minutes later and ready to leave to pick up the boys from school, I was thinking about how much I needed to hear that song right then. And, lo and behold, I turn on the van and it was playing!

God is good! I felt overwhelmed that it was on just as I was asking for it. It reminded me that He listens. He cares. He is Emmanuel. God with us.




So that's just a glimpse of my first week of the New Year!  I hope that yours has been good. We have so much to be thankful for, even in those rough sick days.  What are you thankful for?





0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers